Sunday, October 17, 2010

Broken People Living Under a Loaded Gun

This waiting for Qari Hussain to get killed reminded me of that old scene from Nineteen Eighty Four (there's a book all middle class Pakistani's need to read, and before they enter the corporate world, add Brave New World) where Winston Smith sits boozing in the Chestnut Tree Cafe, waiting, whilst waiting for his side (Oceania) to win a battle against the Eurasian forces. Orwellian Dystopia anyone?

So in honour of our dystopic situation in Pakistan and the United States (Hello Tea Party victory in 2010), where the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity, I present to you Linkin Park's recognition of our crummy situation with the lyrics and song, Catalyst.



God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under loaded gun
And it can't be outfought
It can't be outdone
It can't be outmatched
It can't be outrun
No

God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under loaded gun
And it can't be outfought
It can't be outdone
It can't be outmatched
It can't be outrun
No

And when I close my eyes tonight
To symphonies of blinding light
God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under loaded gun
Like memories in cold decay
Transmissions echoing away
Far from the world of you and I
Where oceans bleed into the sky

God save us everyone
Will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns
For the sins of our hands
The sins of our tongues
The sins of our fathers
The sins of our young
No

God save us everyone
Will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns
For the sins of our hands
The sins of our tongues
The sins of our fathers
The sins of our young
No

And when I close my eyes tonight
To symphonies of blinding light
God save us everyone
Will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns
Like memories in cold decay
Transmissions echoing away
Far from the world of you and I
Where oceans bleed into the sky

Like memories in cold decay
Transmissions echoing away
Far from the world of you and I
Where oceans bleed into the sky

Lift me up, let me go
Lift me up, let me go
Lift me up, let me go
Lift me up, let me go
Lift me up, let me go

God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under loaded gun
And it can't be outfought
It can't be outdone
It can't be outmatched
It can't be outrun

God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under loaded gun
And it can't be outfought
It can't be outdone
It can't be outmatched
It can't be outrun

God bless us everyone
We're a broken people living under loaded gun
And it can't be outfought
It can't be outdone
It can't be outmatched
It can't be outrun

3 comments:

Alpha Za said...

Those are some awesome lyrics, and more importantly, they resonate.

TLW said...

I know Alpha. It seems that since 2008, we've been coming across a few English songs with politically angsty lyrics. Examples include Linkin Park's New Divide, the video for What I've Done, all of Green Day's Album 21st Century Breakdown and DJ Shadow's remake of Colonel Bagshot's Six Days. Must be the depressed economic situation.

Alpha Za said...

I dunno if it's because of the economic situation, they're has always been a political voice in music. Maybe because artisans have always been closer to economic depravity before making it big.

There are few 'middle class' musicians. They either hit it big or roll around in obscurity.

Or atleast that is my humble opinion.