Saturday, October 16, 2010

Did the Daily Times Just Steal The Quote I Dug Up From Harpers Magazine?

The Daily Times article in question is this one.

I wrote a blog entry on Aafia Siddiqui which I intended to be my first and last word on that contentous issue. In that blog entry I dug up a quote from Ali Dayan Hasan that aptly summed up the situation. Al i Dayan Hasan of Human Rights Watch (South Asia) gave that quote to Petra Bartosiewicz of Harpers Magazine for her article "The Intelligence Factory: How America Makes its Enemies Disappear".

The quote was, which I even reconfirmed from Mr Ali Hasan himself was:

Perhaps the most believable account came from Ali Hasan, senior South Asia researcher for Human Rights Watch, whom I visited at his home in Lahore. “My professional view,” he said, “is they’re all lying. Siddiqui’s family is lying, the husband is lying, the Pakistanis are lying, the Americans are lying, for all I know the kids are lying. And because they’re all lying the truth is probably twenty times stranger than we all know.”

Now the Daily Times just wrote an article where they basically wrote the same thing word for word in their first paragraph without attributing that quote to ANYONE. Not to me, who recently dug it up, not to Ali Dayan Hasan who spoke it, not to Harpers or Petra Bartosiewicz who wrote that story. The article begins with the quote:

“They’re all lying. Dr Aafia’s family is lying, the husband is lying, the Pakistanis are lying, the Americans are lying, for all I know the kids are lying. And because they’re all lying the truth is probably twenty times stranger than we all know.”

For that incredibly original insight, for that distillation of not just the "The Intelligence Factory", but the entire twisting, turning millions of dollars spent on Aafia's defense in court red herring of a story, no one is credited for that quote. This really takes the plagiarism cake. They think they can steal a totally original quote like that. That quote was worth an attribution to whoever came up with it, Ms Bartosiewicz at least. The Daily Times must be stopped. Please contact it and tell it to print or publish some kind of retraction for this plagiaristic misattribution.

2 comments:

Amna K said...

Hi,

Got through this post from Five Rupees blog. Has any action been taken against this act of plagiarism?

TLW said...

Hi Amna,

Thanks for asking. I contacted Ali K Chishti and he says that he worked with the author of the piece, Petra Bartosiewicz. He says that he helped her research for this piece, so if I assume that he's telling the truth, then I guess that settles the issue. He should have cited who he's quoting though, that would've setled the issue there and then.

Thanks again for asking though Amna, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the blog.

Sincerely

TLW