Friday, October 1, 2010

On Aafia Siddiqui

I get Harpers Magazine, and I remembered that they covered the issue of Aafia Siddiqui last year (in fact eleven months ago, November 2009) in an article entitled "The intelligence factory: How America makes its enemies disappear".

Anyway, the reporter covers the long and twisting details of Aafia's religiously driven psychosis, from the time she started screaming to her husband to help with the Muj right after 9/11, on up till her disappearance, and on to her many disappearances and reappearances. Anyway, the part that should make Five Rupees happy is this quote summarising the entire stupid saga:

Perhaps the most believable account came from Ali Hasan, senior South Asia researcher for Human Rights Watch, whom I visited at his home in Lahore. “My professional view,” he said, “is they’re all lying. Siddiqui’s family is lying, the husband is lying, the Pakistanis are lying, the Americans are lying, for all I know the kids are lying. And because they’re all lying the truth is probably twenty times stranger than we all know.”

I think this quote summarises best the entire weird situation that woman found herself in, and created for every person and country that dealt with her.

I will get some sort of downloader account, and will upload the entire article in PDF so that people can read it for themselves.

And since Ahsan Butt of Five Rupees interviewed whom I will presume, Ali (Dayan) Hasan of Human Rights Watch, I suppose one has to admit they're on the right track.

What this quote also proves is that probably, some of the best people to cut through the bullshit, are Harpers Magazine, Five Rupees Blog, Ahsan Butt and Mr Ali Dayan Hasan.

Kudos to all of them.

No comments: