Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"70 percent of Pakistan is run by 10 districts of Punjab. 5 of them give you your officer corps and the other 5 your higher bureaucracy"

'The army districts: Attock, Pindi, Chakwal, Jhelum, Mianwali. The Bureaucracy districts: Lahore, Sialkot, Gujranwala, Sargodha, Gujrat'

Apologies to Umair Javed of Recycled Thought, but the title post is taken from that excellent observation he posted from an acquaintance of his. The naming of those districts above, is the latter part of that observation (the title being the former). It's a nice apocryphal observation I don't completely agree with, but it is as good a place as any in our rumour filled land to begin proving or debunking the idea that the Grand Trunk Road corridor from Lahore to Islamabad (or as I call it, the "Power Corridor") ultimately decides the fate of Pakistani politics.

For the sake of full disclosure, I will admit I was raised all my life in Karachi.

No comments: